Pediatric dentists are doctors who cater to the oral health needs of children. They are highly trained to ensure kids’ well-functioning teeth, gums and mouth. When seeking a pediatric dentist in Cottonwood Heights, bear in mind why having someone to take care of your child’s oral health throughout his or her childhood is beneficial.
What Pediatric Dentists Do
Pediatric dentists offer a wide range of oral health care services. These may include:
- Oral health tests for babies
- Preventive care that may include proper cleaning, fluoride treatment, and the right diet
- Counseling on common child habits
- Early orthodontic examination
- Tooth repair due to damages
- Pathological diagnosis of oral issues such as diabetes and asthma
- Managing diseases and problems of the gums, and
- Emergency care for injuries like fractures and displacement
Why Having a Pediatric Dentist Is Beneficial
Children start forming teeth within six months after birth. When they reach the age of six, they begin to lose some, which will soon be replaced by permanent ones. As early as this age, the need for proper dental care must already be taught to the child. Losing these permanent teeth early due to oral decay and other diseases will lead to further complications later in life.
Dental caries in early childhood, which is communicable can even be more prevalent than asthma or hay fever. So, with the help of a pediatric dentist, the child must be guided in how to care for his or her teeth through better food and nutrition, and proper brushing. When they are taught good eating and cleaning habits early, they will bring this practice to adulthood.
Dental care for children is a preventive approach, not only for oral problems but also other oral health-related diseases. It protects your child from the wrong foods and unhealthy dietary habits.