Dentists recommend wearing braces to manage misaligned bite and crooked teeth. The treatment may take one to three years depending on the severity of the case. Proper care is essential when on braces to avoid problems that would delay its effect. You will find this guide helpful if you are wearing braces.
- Practice good oral hygiene. People with braces are more prone to dental problems like tooth decay, bad breath, sensitivity, and gingivitis. Always brush after meals with gentle brushing strokes. Flossing is also important to get rid of food stuck between the braces and the teeth. You may need to use a floss threader to floss your braces.
- Visit the dentist or orthodontist for a cleaning and for adjustments. Periodic adjustments are important to ensure that the braces are pulling the teeth to its proper direction.
- Use a mouth guard when participating in aggressive sports to protect your mouth from injuries. Also, wearing a mouth guard will give your braces protection against damage.
- See your dentist in Sioux Falls, SD if any part of the braces is damaged.
- Avoid eating sticky and chewy food like gummies and candies. Hard and crunchy foods like apples and popcorn must also be avoided. They have the tendency to get stuck under the braces, which would be difficult to remove. What’s worse is they could damage or snap the braces and even injure your mouth.
- Avoid sugar and starch. Bacteria feed on these and promote acid production. Acid weakens the enamel and may promote cavities.
- Stop bad habits like nail biting. Also, avoid biting other hard objects like pencils and ice cubes.
- Never attempt to fix the braces on your own when it snaps or breaks. Let your dentist fix it immediately.
Wearing braces are an effective way to fix teeth alignment and bite problems. However, they will only work if they are periodically adjusted and are well taken care of. Practice these tips if you’re wearing braces to get your teeth straight in no time.